Sajid is the Conservative Member of Parliament for Bromsgrove and Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills and President of the Board of Trade.
Sajid was first elected Member of Parliament for Bromsgrove in May 2010, and was appointed a Privy Councillor by HM The Queen in 2014.
Born in England, Sajid is one of five sons.
His father was a bus driver, and he attended state schools before winning a place at Exeter University to study Economics and Politics.
He joined the Conservative Party in 1988.
As well as being a passionate, committed MP for Bromsgrove, Sajid has also held a number of positions in Government:
- Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, April 2014 - May 2015
- Financial Secretary to the Treasury, October 2013 - April 2014
- Economic Secretary to the Treasury, September 2012 - October 2013
- Parliamentary Private Secretary (PPS) to the Chancellor of the Exchequer, the Rt Hon George Osborne MP, October 2011 - September 2012
- PPS to John Hayes MP, Minister of State for Further Education & Skills, November 2010 - October 2011
- Member of the Work and Pensions Select Committee, June – November 2010
Before public service, he was a senior Managing Director with Deutsche Bank AG, having started his career with Chase Manhattan Bank NA in New York in 1991.
While at Deutsche Bank Sajid was a specialist in helping to raise investment in developing countries and was considered a global leader in this field. He has been engaged in community work his entire adult life, including leading a charity expedition to the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro for Help the Aged.
Sajid is married to Laura and they four young children.
He is a Vice President of Bromsgrove Rugby Football Club.